[gdlr_core_icon icon="fa fa-phone" size="16px" color="#94999f" margin-left="" margin-right="10px" ] +51941234791 / +51983877333 [gdlr_core_icon icon="fa fa-envelope-o" size="16px" color="#94999f" margin-left="30px" margin-right="10px" ] info@rainbowmountainperutrek.com

Cusipata in the Way to Rainbow Mountain

Are interested in visiting the Peruvian Rainbow Mountain Peru, after reading our last post on the trip under the rain? Maybe you are, and maybe you were already keen since before. Let me tell you a bit about the full journey to reach the candylike peaks with sun or rain!

The Rainbow Mountain Tour

Tours begin very early in “the morning”, more like even before the dawn: 3.30 am. Tour agencies will get you from your lodging and will drive you to the mountains. Most trips, like us, include the following route: Cusco – Cusipata – Cusco. Consider three hours and a half by bus from the starting point to Fulawasipata and a trek of two hours till the top of Vinicunca. After that, you can head Red Valley, also trekking and just as an option. Then, after one hour of descent and almost three ours by bus, you’ll be back in Cusco.Most tours don’t offer meals, Rainbow Mountain Trek include breakfast and lunch prepared by the very native community of cusipata!

The Landscape

Cusipata is a community settled in Cusipata. A small town located around 50 miles southeast from the city of Cusco at 3000 masl. With gorgeous Andean flora and fauna species you can’t miss once there. Some of these species were endangered and have been recovered thanks to the intervention of governmetal bodies and, of course, the help of the community. Among the local flora, you may find cactus, alder, some fruit trees grown by the community, and mostly mosses, lichens and natural pastures.

Some wildlife you may expect are smalls Andean foxes, condors, bobcats, and camelids.

Besides this biotic atmosphere, you will see some lakes and a natural composition of trees and plants that seems to be planned by some expert landscaper.

Who preserves it?

Rainbow Mountain is known as Vinicunca, the Spanish written word for Winikunka. “Wini” stands for “stone”, as the place was full of round black stones, and “kunka” meaning “neck”, as the shape of the hill was like a neck. This 15,026 ha lanscape reserve is preserved by two groups.


Near 70% of the mountains protected by the Fulahuasipata community, in Cusipata, in the province of Quispicanchi. Anf¡d the remaining 30% is under Cusipata’s protection, province of QuispiCanchis. In the past, these two groups had problems to protect nad manage this outstading destination. However, nowadays they have reached an agreement and they both work for the benefit of Rainbow Mountain tourism.


As you can see, this destination isn’t special just for its great colors and amazing landscape, but also for the communities working around it. Come and see this beautiful site and collect colorful experiences!

Take the time to soak in the sites you will see, especially around Humantay Lagoon. As you look at the beautiful water, take a moment to reflect on your life and your blessings. Enjoy the fresh air and reconnect with nature. If you are ready to make your reservation for the trip of a lifetime, Contact Rainbow Mountain Peru Trek today!


Leave a Reply

Text Widget

Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Nulla vitae elit libero, a pharetra augue. Donec sed odio dui. Etiam porta sem malesuada.